Marbling is an artistic printing technology that originated in Turkey and has been transmitted around the world from around the 14th century through Europe. The pigment is dropped into a highly viscous solution, stirred with a bamboo comb or the like to make a pattern, and transferred to paper or cloth. Stirring creates a flow in the solution, and the pigment is diffused and moved along the flow to form a pattern, so marbling can be regarded as a computational fluid dynamics problem. The developed system can generate the marbling pattern interactively while solving the Navir-Stoke equation and the advection-diffusion equation in real time by using the parallel processing function of graphics hardware. Also, by setting periodic boundary conditions in the solution, a pattern that can be seamlessly tiled is obtained and can be used directly for printing.
- Shufang Lu, Yue Huang, Xiaogang Jin, Aubrey Jaffer, Craig S. Kaplan, Xiaoyang Mao, “Marbling-based Creative Modelling,” Visual Computer, Vol.33, No.6-8, pp.913-923, 2017-6.
- Shufang Lu, Xiaogang Jin, Aubrey Jaffer, Fei Gao, Xiaoyang Mao, “Solid Mathematical Marbling,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.37, No.2, pp.90-98, 2017-5.
- 茅 暁陽, “デジタルマーブリング”, 画像電子学会誌, Vol.40, No.1, pp.269-271, 2011-1.
- Hanli Zhao, Xiaogang Jin, Shufang Lu, Xiaoyang Mao, Jianbing Shen, “AtelierM++: A Fast and Accurate Marbling System,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer, Vol.44, No.2, pp.187-203, 2009-9.
- Jiayi Xu, Xiaoyang Mao, Xiaogang Jin, “Non-dissipative Marbling,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.28, No.2, pp.35-43, 2008-2.
- Xiaogang Jin, Chen Shaochun, Xiaoyang Mao, “Computer-Generated Marbling Textures: A GPU-based Design System,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.27, No.2, pp.78-84, 2007-3.
- Toshikazu Suzuki, Xiaoyang Mao, Atsumi Imamiya, “Simulating Marbling with Computer Graphics,” Proceedings of IASTED International Conference on Visualization Imaging and Image Processing (VIIP), pp.208-213, 2001-9.
- 鈴木 敏和, 茅 暁陽, 今宮 淳美, “CGによるマーブリングテクスチャの生成”, 情報処理学会研究報告 グラフィクスとCAD, No.96, pp.49-53, 2000.